A pesky cough that just won’t go away can leave you frustrated and uncomfortable. A warm mist humidifier can bring an end to that cough and make you feel better. While cool mist humidifier models release a steady stream of cool air into the room, a warm mist model releases a warm stream of air. These humidifiers have a heating element inside that boils the water in the tank to produce that mist or steam. Some enable you to add in oils and vapour rubs such as the Vicks warm mist humidifier. As they do not have internal fans, these models usually run quieter than cool mist models do, which makes them perfect for use in a nursery or bedroom.
Humidifiers essentially add more moisture to the air in your home. If you have dry air in your home, this can cause sore throats and dry skin. Regular use of one can improve your skin, reduce your risks of suffering from common respiratory conditions and help those who suffer from bloody noses or chapped lips. Some of the things to consider before buying a humidifier include the sounds it produces, how much maintenance it requires and the square footage of the room where you will use it. You may want to look at how much water it can hold too because this tells you how often you need to refill it.
Our reviews of the best warm mist humidifiers include the top models that are suitable for your home.
There are many different types of warm mist humidifiers such as filterless humidifiers, bedside humidifiers, mini humidifiers, dual mist, single room, and whole-house humidifiers. With this guide, we hope to focus in on what is important to you, and show you the warm mist humidifiers that actually suit your needs.
Here’s our best warm mist humidifiers in more detail…
Honeywell HWM705B Filter-Free Warm Mist Humidifier – Ideal for smaller rooms and spaces.
Honeywell made the HWM705B humidifier for those who don’t want to deal with a lot of maintenance. Filter free, so no hassles with having to buy more filters. As long as you add water when needed and clean the tank regularly, you can use this warm mist humidifier in any room of your home. It has an illuminated power switch that you can see in the dark and a knob that turns in a complete circle to adjust the power.
This model has two settings that produce more or less steam and an automatic shutoff setting that turns the humidifier off when the tank runs out of water. That tank holds up to one gallon of water, which is enough liquid for 24 hours of use. When the red light comes on, you’ll know that the tank is empty. This Honeywell humidifier also comes with a medicine cup for using it with other liquids.
- Requires only one gallon of water to operate
- Runs for up to 24 hours on a full tank
- Can keep the humidity level in your home at 40 to 60%
- Suitable for use around adults and children
- Does not use any type of filter
- Includes a medicine cup for using the humidifier with medicinal products
- Some of the water can leak out from the internal tank
- Not ideal for large rooms. Works very well in small rooms.
- The error light comes on often
- You might find that it doesn’t release as much steam as you need
Not only does this LEVOIT humidifier work well in large rooms, but it’s also one of the only models that function as both a warm mist and a cool mist humidifier. You can easily choose the setting that you want via the LED screen. This screen tones down the brightness at night to create ambient lighting similar to a nightlight. The included water tank holds up to 1.6 gallons of water and can keep the humidifier running for more than a day. It produces up to 500ml of liquid per hour and works in spaces of around 750 square feet.
With the automatic shutoff feature, you can let the humidifier shut down when the tank runs out to prevent accidents. It also has a built-in diffuser that works with all of your favorite essential oils, though you should never add those oils to the water tank. Thanks to the remote control, you can adjust the humidifier from across the room and set the timer to run for one to two hours. This humidifier also features an intelligent mode that works with a sensor to determine how much humidity a room needs.
- Specifically designed for large rooms of up to 753 square feet
- Includes both a remote control and a timer function
- Runs much quieter than other large humidifiers do
- Has an intelligent mode to determine what the room needs
- Lets you use either a cool mist or warm mist setting
- Works with essential oils for aromatherapy applications
- LEVOIT does not respond quickly to emails
- Some found that the plastic tank became brittle over time
- Other humidifiers are easier to use
Designed for larger spaces, this ultrasonic humidifier has both cool and warm mist settings that you can choose from based on what you need. You don’t need to figure that out for yourself because this model has a mode that detects the amount of humidity in the air. It will then tell you what you need and will adjust the settings based on those needs. On the front of the humidifier are different buttons that correspond to the settings and features. You can press one to turn it on and off, another to switch between modes and a third that sets the timer.
Another button turns the humidifier to sleep mode, which significantly reduces the noise of the machine to help you sleep through the night. Suitable for use in rooms of up to 750 square feet, this humidifier comes with a six-gallon tank that holds enough liquid for up to 40 hours of use. It also comes with an aromatherapy box for those who love essential oils. This box works with all types of oils and releases a light fragrance into the air.
- Includes both warm mist and ultrasonic cool mist settings
- Detects the humidity level in the room and shows what you need
- Includes a six-gallon tank for hours of continuous use
- Works for up to 40 hours on one tank
- Features a sleep mode that reduces the sound produced by the humidifier to help you sleep
- Has an aromatherapy box that works with most essential oils
- It may run through the water faster than the company claims
- Some leaks can form and cause damage to surrounding surfaces
- It’s sometimes hard to fit the tank back into the humidifier
BONECO makes this ultrasonic humidifier that many like because it has both cool and warm mist settings. With one touch of a button on the front, you can use the cool water that you poured into the tank or tell the unit to heat that water first. Though it can use up to three gallons of water every hour, the included tank holds only 1.5 gallons of water. Based on your settings, the tank can hold enough water for 24 hours of use. The auto mode is great for those who want a humidifier that works quickly because this allows the unit to run without you doing anything special.
It has a digital display on the front that shows the amount of humidity used in the room and other basic information. Most of the tools that you need for cleaning, maintenance and use come with this humidifier too. The hydro cell and other products clean the water that you use to remove heavy metals and other impurities from your hard water. This model also has a compact size to save space in a bedroom or living room.
- Works for up to 24 hours due to the 1.5-gallon tank
- Suitable for large rooms of up to 600 square feet
- Includes a digital display that is easy to see during the day or night
- Lets you program the settings based on your needs
- Produces a clean mist that can spread through the surrounding space
- Comes with a filter that requires no maintenance for up to a year
- The display can be quite bright
- You might find that the warm mist setting isn’t as warm as you need
- It makes a lot of noise as the water moves from the tank
If you need a humidifier for your nursery or child’s bedroom, Rowenta might make the best humidifier for you. While it runs quietly in all modes, it has a unique baby mode that significantly drops the sound level. This lets your kids sleep through the night without the humidifier waking them up. The night mode is great for adults who want to sleep easily because that mode will also reduce the sound level of the unit. You can choose the auto mode too, which lets the unit turn itself on and off as it monitors the humidity level in the room.
The ultrasonic technology used by this model lets you choose between warm and cool mist settings too. When you choose the cool mist, the water will move through the unit and over ceramic parts that reduce the temperature of the water before it comes out. In the warm mist mode, the humidifier increases the temperature of the water to 95 degrees Fahrenheit, which kills any bacteria in the water. That also makes this a good choice for homes with hard water. Depending on which mode you choose, the humidifier can use its two-gallon tank and run for up to seven hours.
- Uses ultrasonic technology for advanced control
- Features a baby mode for use in nurseries and kids’ bedrooms
- Produces good humidity that is free of bacteria
- Runs quietly when set to any mode
- Lets you adjust the humidity rate based on your unique needs
- Increases the heat of the warm mist up to 95 degrees Fahrenheit
- It’s hard to see and read the display because it’s on the bottom of the humidifier
- You need to do a little maintenance every day
- Some thought that all modes felt the same
The TT-AH008 ultrasonic humidifier is a good option for many homes because it comes with an internal 6.1-gallon tank that can run for hours. Recommended for use in rooms of between 220 and 430 square feet, this unit has a large display with touch controls below. It takes only one touch to adjust most settings and to turn the unit on and off. This humidifier is easy to fill because you can remove the tank from the bottom and fill it in your tub or shower.
Not only can you select from warm and cool mist settings, but you can choose from seven levels on either setting to make sure you get all the steam that you want. The nozzles on the inside spin and rotate to detect the level of humidity in the room. Those same nozzles will adjust the mist produced to help the level remain exactly where you want it. Many shoppers also like that this humidifier can run for 17 hours and that it has a wide display that is easy to view.
- Includes a 6.1-gallon tank with built-in protection to keep the humidifier from running without water
- Features both warm and cool mist settings that each run through seven different levels
- The bright and wide display makes it easy to see all the important information
- Uses two nozzles to more accurately track humidity levels and increase those levels
- Works in spaces of up to 430 square feet
- The optional nightlight helps you see in the dark
- May fail when filled with hard water
- Doesn’t let you adjust the temperature level
- Limescale and deposits can stick to the bottom and sides of the water tank
One of the best humidifiers for large rooms is the TT-AH014 from TaoTronics. When you first see this unit, you might think that it resembles a refrigerator. As it is so large, you must make sure that it can fit in the room. You will need to flip the floater inside over to make sure that the letters face up. If you install this upside down, the humidifier will not turn on when you press the power button. The internal tank holds five liters of water or more than one gallon of water and can produce enough humidity to use it for up to 40 hours before it will need more water.
Whether you run the humidifier while you’re home or out and about, it will monitor the amount of water in the tank and shut down before the tank runs dry. As the tank fills from the top rather than the bottom, you can easily carry water from another room and pour it inside or remove the tank for convenient filling. Suitable for those who like aromatherapy, this humidifier works with your favorite essential oils too. You can safely use this unit in rooms of more than 300 square feet.
- Large enough that it can spread mist into every corner of a large room
- Lasts for up to 40 hours because of the large five-liter tank
- Can function as both a humidifier and as an aromatherapy appliance
- The humidifier shuts off when the tank runs dry
- Releases between 100 and 300ml of mist based on the setting selected
- Keeps the humidity level at between 40 and 60%
- Can be much too large for some rooms
- Many users complained that the humidifier leaked
- You cannot use blankets or towels beneath it
Another of the best warm mist humidifiers is the LV550HH from LEVOIT. It has a sleek design with a 1.45-gallon tank that slides out easily for quick filling. The touch controls on the front let you choose from five settings when using it as a cool or warm mist humidifier. You can access those same settings with the remote control, which fits in the palm of your hand. Not only can you set a timer for up to 12 hours, but you can also set the humidity level at between 30 and 80%. With the auto mode, the humidifier will use the 360-degree nozzles to determine when it should release more steam.
Suitable for use in rooms of more than 700 square feet, this humidifier produces a maximum output of 300ml per hour and can reach a maximum temperature of 104 degrees Fahrenheit. It comes with two aroma pads too. When you want to use essential oils, you can add a few drops to one of those pads and insert it into the aromatherapy box. As the mist comes out, it will carry the scent of that oil.
- Includes both cool and warm mist settings that increase humidity levels and kills bacteria in the room
- Releases up to 450ml of warm or cool mist every hour
- Includes 360-degree nozzles that move the mist to every area of the room
- The sensor works with the automatic mode to turn the humidifier on and off when needed
- Runs for up to 36 hours because of the 1.45-gallon water tank
- Gives you access to the settings via touch controls and a remote control
- Runs very loudly and produces even louder noises as the water drains
- Can produce too much mist that soaks clothing and other objects
- It’s easy for water to splash out of the tank as you fill it